Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Book Is In My Hands!

Bought the very first copy at Maker Shed
I enjoyed my visit to Maker Faire 2014 in San Mateo, California this past weekend, and I was able to get my hands on a copy of Make: More Electronics.  (As a matter of fact, I bought the very first copy from Maker Shed as I walked in when the store opened, found the book immediately and was fourth in line... no one else had a copy, so GEEK moment!)

 Even better, Charles Platt was signing copies for buyers in Expo Hall a few hours later. Although I've communicated with him a number of times over the years as I worked through Make: Electronics, I had never actually met him until this weekend. It was a real pleasure to get to visit with him for a while and chat about a number of things, not just electronics.

On the flight home, I took the chance to read through a number of the early chapters as well as skim many more. It's going to be an interesting collection of projects to try out, and I'm looking forward to sharing my results here. If you're looking for some details on the book, here you are:

* 37 chapters and 2 appendices -- a total of 36 experiments/projects to perform

* As with the first book, this one is in full-color

* Appendix B contains very detailed components lists organized into groups of projects (experiments 1-14, 15-25, and 26-36) along with itemized project-by-project listings if you wish to purchase items on a per-experiment basis.

* Errata for the book can be found here - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=0636920027874

I'm already collecting some tools and components as I prepare to start working through the 36 experiments. Surprisingly, I have a lot of stuff left over from my working through the experiments in Make: Electronics that will save me some money.

I can't say when I'll be starting my work on the book's projects, but it will be soon. Tomorrow? Unlikely? Next month? Too long to wait. Give me this week or next and I expect to have enough of my tools and components pulled together to get moving.

I'm also going to leave comments open for your own thoughts, questions, observations, etc. I'll leave comments open as long as they are not abused. If I start getting a lot of spam, I'll turn on the approval process that will require me to approve a comment before it's added -- just letting you know in advance that might be coming, so don't worry if your comments stop showing up immediately... I'll get to them.

Thanks for joining me for this project -- I learned so much during my explorations for Make: Electronics, and I'm certain that Make: More Electronics will provide just as much education for all of us working through the book.


Charles Platt (left) and me

6 comments:

  1. He strikes me like a great person, I'm currently on exercise 20, I love this book, so far I have 2 questions, one on this new book and one on the original.

    1. Do you recommend to wait for the MAKE component kits, mean you shopped for materials, is the kit worth it?
    I got nailed last time on the kit, I love the kit but when I bought it each pack was 125$ and +the book I spent over 350$,now they sell the 2 packs +the book for 179$

    2.on chapter 18 page 180 under Enhancements, bulletpoint 1 says that with a 555timer you can power in and have the on ready mode, tried connecting the Timmer on everyway the book show, using output 3 to pin 15 of IC1 but to send a negative pulse to pin 2 IC6 I connected to pin 6,..didnt work. Could you show me a schematic for this connection, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed MakerShed and got a customer service response that they currently had no plans to do a Parts Pack for Book 2, but then they went on to say they would pass the question up the chain... there may very well be a Parts Pack in the works, but as it stands right now, I haven't heard a solid YES.

      As for your question about page 180 of Book 1, I don't have my copy of the book with me handy, and I haven't even thought about the experiments in that book for years. Post your question there and someone working through Book 1 might be able to help. Post your comment on the project in question where I blogged about it and you might get some responses. I'm in complete prep mode for Book 2 right now, so apologies that I can't offer much help on Book 1 stuff right now.

      Delete
  2. 2 quick questions not related.
    1.on your YouTube channel you have videos of arduino label P#. From what book is it, do you recommend the book?

    2. Do you know Charles platt email or contact info, would like to ask a question.

    I'm emailing makershed to double check if they will make a package for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those videos were from the projects I documented working through "Beginning Arduino" -- the book is excellent.

    I cannot provide Charles' email address without his permission, but he does provide a way to contact him by owners of his new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I got a response from makershed.

    Hi Fred,

    We do have this in the works but unfortunately no timeline for release yet. We will definitely be in touch with Mr. Platt for his recommendations.

    Sincerely,
    Natalie W
    Maker Shed Customer Care

    Also, is Michael McRoberts the author of Beginning Arduino?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, McRoberts is the author of Beginning Arduino.

    ReplyDelete